Have you ever wondered how the Paris Catacombs were started? Before the Catacombs started they were limestone quarries. The limestone was used to build Notre Dame and other buildings. When people died they got buried in churchyards. It took up too much space and people got sick from the dead bodies. They put them in the limestone quarries under Paris. Would you want to dig up the yucky bodies? I would not. You would expect to see bones right away. You need to get deep enough. Before you enter the bones. You need to go 60 feet down. There is a sign saying, “HALT! This is the empire of the dead.” It will be the perfect thing for Halloween. It was awesome. THE BONES ARE COOL!
Facts about the Paris Catacombs
- There are more than 6 million Parisians under Paris in the Catacombs
- You can’t see it all. We saw 2 kilometer. There are 900 kilometers in all
- You need to go 60 feet down before you see bones
- It is a good place to go bone hunting.
- There is a black line on the ceiling to find the Catacombs
- The bones are stacked 5 feet high and 80 feet deep
Now you know all about the Paris Catacombs.