In Lviv, Ukraine we got to see how they make hard candy. So, in this blog you will learn how to make hard candy.
Let us talk about how hard candy and candy canes are made.
Steps of Making Hard Candy
1. First you wipe down the counter with grease so the candy won’t stick.
2. Add the ingredients to a pot.
3. Put the pot on a stove and get it to 300° Fahrenheit. Stir constantly.
4. When it gets to that point of 300° Fahrenheit pour it on a counter.
5. Fold the candy over and over with a scraper until it cools.
6. Cut the candy into 2 parts.
7. Add some flavor and add some of the color to 1 of the parts of candy.
8. After you add flavor and color you will work the candy till it is all mixed.
9. After the candy is worked, you put part of the non-colored candy on a hook and stretch it over and over again until it turns white. The candy turns white because gets little air bubbles in it.
10. When you done working it, put all the pieces together and make a candy burrito.
11. After you are done making the burrito shape it.
Tada there you go. Now you have a candy cane. I got to taste 2 flavors of lollipops. They were pretty good. It was interesting watching them make the candy.
The Recipe to Make Candy
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- ¼ cup water
- ½ teaspoon flavor
- food coloring
Other Supplies Needed
- Plastic gloves
- Candy thermometer
Now you know how to make hard candy.
Heidi Wagoner says
Sydney, I love how you explained this process and showed great photos too. I watched this on TV once many years ago and I still find it amazing that they can create such unique little works of art. How fun that you were there to see it happen.
It was kind of cool to watch them make it. We got fresh free samples. They were REALLY good 🙂
addie frazier says
hi sydney i hope we can skyp soon at nanas house probly today i hope we can have a sleepover soon hay i just forgot that i mooved and i live on south ivy street between rosabelt if you whant to come over to my house i am going to be happy love you much 🙂
p.s. i whant to now how to make that huge candy house
We can skype soon i hope. Sorry the sleep over will have to wait. Ohh, if I did know how
to make the candy house i would not give you any of it :). ALL MINE! Just kidding!