We went to Plovdiv, Bulgaria. Did you know there are Roman Ruins in Plovdiv? There are LOTS of Roman Ruins in Plovdiv. So, I thought I would tell a little about them. There is a Roman hippodrome, the theater, forum, and aqueduct in Plodiv. We saw all of them. I really liked the ruins. I hope you enjoy the Roman Ruins as much as I did.
Lets start with a little history about the Roman theater. The Roman theater was discovered by a freak landslide in 1972. The theater was used for Gladiator fights and shows. Here are some facts about the theater.
- The rich people carved their names on their seat so it belonged to them.
- There are 3 statues on the top of the theater.
- The theater was made out of marble.
- The theater was built in the 2nd century.
The Roman Hippodrome is where they raced hippos. Just kidding! It is where they raced chariots. The racetrack is huge. It could hold a lot of people. In Roman times racing chariots was a big sport. Here are some facts about the Hippodrome
- Again the rich people wrote their names on their seats to claim it as their seats.
- You can only see a little part of the track.
- The track was built in the 2nd century.
The Roman Forum
The Roman forum was a place to go shopping or to talk with people. It is pretty much in ruins, but it is still very cool. Here are some facts about the forum.
- The forum was a meeting place
- The forum was built in the 1st century.
- The forum was the biggest one in Bulgaria.
Now you know about the Plovdiv Roman Ruins.
To Travel Too says
Great article, loved it. Just put it on our bucket list.
Have fun travelling
Thank you! They were cool 🙂
Fun post Sydney. I’m wondering – you and your mom and dad have been traveling for a year now, do you have a favorite country? If you don’t move back to the United States, where would you like to live and go to school?
My favorite country is Ireland. Because it has lots of farms there. I would like to live in Ireland.
Sydney, I am disappointed that they didn’t race Hippos, but you are getting better and better at writing. You amaze me.