A few days ago we had an egg drop contest. Do you know what an egg drop competition is? Well I will tell you. An egg drop competition is were you put an egg in something. You drop that thing from a 2 or more story building.
The rules to an egg drop contest: No parachutes, no lowering it down by something like string, and if the egg is cracked, but no yoke is leaking out then it is fine.
Video of Egg Drop Contest
But the first thing you do before you design the egg drop you drop a plain egg. You already know what happens. It breaks.
Sydney’s Egg Drop Design
The design I used was an unusual one. Here are the things I used: a box, an orange, a plastic bag, air cushions and an egg.
Here is how I put mine together.
- Take an orange and cut it in half.
- Scoop out some of the insides of the orange.
- Put an egg inside the orange.
- Put a string around the orange and tie the orange closed.
- Put the orange inside a small box in the middle of the box.
- Put a bunch of plastic in the box for cushion.
- Put a lid on the box.
- Blow up 2 plastic bags and zip them shut.
- Tape one of the plastic air bags to the top of the box.
- Tape the other plastic air bag to the bottom of the box.
- Last you drop the egg.
That is how to make my egg drop.
Dad’s Egg Drop Design
Daddy used a plastic 5-liter water jug, newspaper, plastic cookie packaging, toilet paper and an egg.
Here is how to make my dad’s egg drop.
- Get one 5-liter plastic water jug.
- Cut a flap in the top of the water jug.
- Put newspaper in the water jug till half full.
- Wrap the egg in toilet paper.
- Put the wrapped egg in a cookie compartment.
- Put the cookie compartment on top of the newspaper.
- Put the compartment in the middle of the jug.
- Fill the rest of the jug with newspaper.
- Tape the flap back on.
- Last you drop it.
That is how to make my dad’s egg drop.
Mom’s Egg Drop Design
My mom used one plastic water jug, newspaper, a plastic bag air cushion, an orange and an egg.
Here is how it worked.
- Take an orange.
- Cut it in half.
- Scoop out some of the pulp.
- Put the egg inside the orange.
- Tie the orange with some string.
- Get 1 plastic jug.
- Cut off the top of the jug.
- Put some newspaper at the bottom of the jug.
- Blow up a plastic bag.
- Zip it close.
- Put the plastic blown up bag in the jug.
- Put the orange in the jug.
- Fill the rest of the jug with newspaper but do not put the top back on the plastic water jug.
- Last you drop it.
That is how to make my mom’s egg drop.
My mom’s egg and my egg survived. Daddy’s egg FAILED! It looked like a cracked leaking egg.
Did the Orange Protect the Egg?
I think the thing protecting the egg was the orange. So we decided to drop an egg inside an orange. You might think it failed, but it worked. The egg was perfectly fine. WOW! The egg survived.
Now you know how to make an egg drop.
Great fun, Sydney. I love the look on your dad’s face when he saw his egg had lost. It cracked me up. LOL
It was funny 😆
Poor daddy… What a great science experiment, Sydney and I enjoyed watching the video!
It was fun. He should have used an orange. Thank you 😳
That must have been fun!
I saw the video, Kerri’s egg survived, but broke the floor?
Sylvia (Puck’s mom)
Yup! Her protected egg was so tough that it broke the concrete.
it was so cool
i think the egg was brokin inside dee orange
puck(by mij self)
Hi Puck. Nope! It really was not!
I miss you,
jes I see and when i ever have an egg drop contest i dropt my egg into an orange (-;