Travel Photo Roulette Round 17: Architecture
And the Winner of Travel Photo Roulette Round 17 is…….
Entry #6 from Magda at Destination World
All of the 25 entries for this round of Travel Photo Roulette were amazing and the decision was really hard choosing only one winner. Each photo, like architecture, is unique in its own way. But the one that I thought had the most pop and kept my interest the longest was Magda’s photo submission of the Petronas Towers in Kuala Lumpur. The image is clean and very sharp, the angled view of the architecture is very interesting and keeps the eyes of the viewer entertained with textures and complimenting colors, and the dynamic range of contrast is excellent.
Congratulations to Magda who will now choose the theme for and host Photo Roulette Round 18. I look forward to seeing the submissions for the next round.
Welcome to Travel Photo Roulette 17: Architecture
The last round was hosted by Beached Eskimo with the theme of “Learning.” I won that round with this photo of my daughter doing her schoolwork on the beach in Kauai and look forward to seeing some great photos for this next round.
This Week’s Theme: Architecture
When we found out that we had won the previous round of Photo Roulette we were in Central America visiting Costa Rica and Nicaragua. My wife Kerri and I thought long and hard on what theme to choose for this next round and after visiting Nicaragua the answer came to us. Costa Rica is a beautiful country with amazing rain forests, beaches, wildlife, and people. But what it lacks is stunning architecture. But just to the north is history rich Nicaragua with many beautiful and colorful buildings dating to the 16th century. Every place we travel to we always marvel at the architecture, as I am sure most people do. In the comments below post a link to a photo of a building or part of a building that shows beautiful, unique, amazing, or even bizarre architecture. Here is my example taken from inside a church in Granada, Nicaragua:
Please try to get as many people as possible involved by sharing this page by using the share buttons at the bottom.
The rules of the game are simple. The hosting blogger is the chosen winner of the previous week’s (7 days) game. The new host chooses a generic keyword or phrase that other travelers submit photos to during the course of the week. Phrases can be as generic as ‘signs’ all the way to abstract thoughts like ‘religion’ and everything in between. At the end of the week, the hosting blogger chooses their favorite photo that fits the chosen phrase and moves it to the top of the post as the winning entry with direction to the new host’s site for the next round.
Readers can attempt to sway the author into picking a certain photo via comments, but the author (that’s me!) can ignore comments as they see fit. The game is repeated with the winner hosting the following week’s game and choosing a phrase for new photo submissions.
Previous Photo Roulette Hosts
The following is a list of the previously played rounds of the game and the hosting blogger for each. This list also doubles as a winner’s table as each topic host won the preceding round! Click the host’s link to go directly to that entry to see some stunning photographs from the chosen term/phrase!
And a big kudos goes out to Jeremy of Living the Dream who started this whole thing. What an amazing idea to allow us travel bloggers to share our photos with others.
1. Nov 4–10, 2010 Living the Dream – “Animals”
2. Nov 17–24, 2010 Skinny Backpacker – “Road Signs”
3. Nov 29–Dec 6, 2010 Dream a Little Dream – “Street Art”
4. Dec 8–Dec 15, 2010 Flashpacker HQ – “Festival”
5. Dec 17–Dec 24, 2010 Over Yonderlust – “Landmarks”
6. Dec 26–Jan 2, 2011 Don’t Ever Look Back – “Beaches”
7. Jan 5–Jan 12, 2011 ThePlanetD – “Portraits”
8. Jan 15–Jan 22, 2011 Travel with a Mate – “Motion”
9. Jan 26–Feb 3, 2011 Johnny Vagabond – “Water”
10. Feb 8–Feb 15, 2011 Ken Kaminesky – “Urban”
11. Feb 21–Feb 27, 2011 Travels of Adam – “Friday Night”
12. Mar 7 – Mar 13, 2011 Itchy Feet Chronicles – “The Journey”
13. Mar 19 – Mar 25, 2011 Brendan’s Adventures – “Changing Seasons”
14. Apr 4 – Apr 10, 2011 Shutterfeet – “Storytelling”
15. Apr 13- Apr 21, 2011 10timesOne – “Piousness”
16. Apr 26 – May 4, 2011 Beached Eskimo – “Learning”
Extra Criteria to Keep in Mind When Submitting a Photo:
- One submission per Blog (so sites that have 2+ authors only get one entry).
No photoshopping allowed unless specifically called for! Cropping and correction for red-eye or camera flaws are ok, however.Like most of those before me I’m happy to allow photoshopping. Just don’t get too crazy with it.
- Abstract submissions welcomed as long as it fits within the interpretation of the chosen phrase. Remember, the hosting blogger chooses the winner, so if they cannot understand the submission, you might not win!
- Keep phrases general so that all bloggers can participate. Specific items like “Eiffel Tower” should be avoided but rather made open-ended like “monuments.” For variety, it is ok to say focused things such as “monuments at night” in which most of us have pictures of.
- Abstract thoughts are appreciated, but keep it within the realm that all readers will understand. No “Kafka-esque”, but “Overlooking Creation” is able to be interpreted by all.
- No obscene pictures or phrases allowed. Suggestive phrases and photography can be accepted, but please keep it within reason.
- After a sufficient period of time, phrases can be reused, however new photos must be submitted.
- Keep the ideas and photos fresh!
- Pictures from your entire portfolio are fair to submit. You do not have to take the photo within the week of the contest period to submit it.
- Most importantly, ALL PHOTOS MUST BE YOUR OWN.
To Submit An Image
To enter in the Photo Roulette competition simply leave a comment below with a link to the image (whether Flickr, Picasa or your own site) and I’ll upload it to this post. Don’t forget to provide a brief description or caption for the photo so the viewers can get a little background as to what’s happening.
Check back here through the week to see all the entries as they come in – feel free to comment on them. The contest runs for 7 days, with the submission date being now until Friday, May 27th, 2011 . I’ll announce the winner on Sunday, May 29, and he or she will host round 18.
One last rule, since this is a competition for bloggers, we need you to be a blogger to be declared a winner. Sorry!