I learned about riding side saddle in my Pony Magazine. Do you know about side saddle? Well I will tell about it. You will learn how riders ride, jump, and do other things in a sidesaddle.
The side saddle was for women, because they could not ride with a big skirt. In side saddle women rode sideways. The first side saddle was made in the medieval ages. The side saddle was really hard to steer, so someone had to guide you. The side saddle looked like a chair with a footrest. I think they got a chair first and built around it. The side saddle in medieval times did not look comfortable. There was no rug underneath for the horse. The horse I think did not like that.
The first modern sidesaddle was made in 1850 and we still use it today!! The sidesaddle looks like a half of a western saddle. People still ride sidesaddle, mostly for fun. They also have competition for riding side saddle. You need a special kind of outfit if you ride sidesaddle.
SIDE SADDLE LOOKS FUN! DO YOU WANT TO LEARN? I WOULD!
5 facts about side saddle
- The highest side saddle jump was in 1915 and the horse jumped 6’ 5”.
- The highest jump was in Sydney Australia.
- The person who did highest jump in a side saddle was named Ester Stace.
- You need to wear your hair in a bun if you are doing a competition riding side saddle.
- Jules Pellier designed the modern side saddle.
Now you know all about the side saddle and what it looks like.
Featured Photo: Drterdal